In Tucson: the assault on Mount Lemmon - Looking Back With 2020 Vision, Part I - CycleBlaze

February 8, 2020

In Tucson: the assault on Mount Lemmon

Ever since our first climb of Mount Lemmon  in the fall of 2016, we’ve talked about coming back down to Tucson and making the climb again.  At the time we thought it was possibly the finest ascents of our lives.  It has everything going for it - a reasonable gradient, a good shoulder on the way up, and phenomenal scenery.  Climbing it again was one of the first things we discussed when planning this tour.

And yet, somehow we almost didn’t fit it into the schedule this time.  Several things conspired against it.  Rachael was just getting a cold when we first arrived in Tucson (and, in fact, is still pretty badly congested two weeks later); we’ve seen some cool days, and were afraid of how cold it would be on top (especially after our hypothermic climbs in Death Valley); and, starting about 20 miles from downtown, it’s a bit awkward to get to unless you want to put in a much longer day than we sign up for any more - the days when we’d willingly tackle an eighty mile ride with a major climb in the middle are long past.

And for me at least there were doubts about whether it would really seem as great a ride this time around.  Mightn’t it be better to live with the memory of that uniquely brilliant day?  And, three years later and a thousand days older, are we still young and fit enough for this to count as fun?

Fortunately, it all came together in the end.  We have a car with us for these final days, since we picked up a fresh rental in Sierra Vista.  Rachael is still congested, but feeling healthy and eager enough to make the ride.  And, we have one phenomenally great day of weather available today: with a high of 75 on the basin floor and 50 at the top, and with a west wind to help blow us up the slope, we couldn’t ask for more.  It’s the last possible day for us too - tomorrow the temperature drops again, the winds pick up, and on the day after snow is due on the mountain.  It’s today or not at all.

The ride this time proves to be amazing, and possibly as much so as our first time up.  We don’t climb quite as far this time, stopping at about the 7,000’ level because of the cold - We start to see patches of snow in the shaded spots on the road by the time we turn back; but especially because Rachael’s lingering congestion is becoming an issue - it is really making it difficult for her to breathe, which doesn’t work well on a high elevation climb.   On a warmer day and in health though, it definitely felt like we still had this climb in us, and could aspire to do it again in a few more years.

We are hardly alone on the road today, and must see hundreds of cyclists - possibly even more than we saw last time in late autumn.  It is warm enough so that we get an early start to the day, and we’re back down at the car by about three.  It is a surprise to see how many cyclists we pass on the descent, climbing the other way so late in the day.  Maybe they weren’t planning to climb as high, or maybe they like the excitement of a fast, freezing descent in sundown lighting conditions.

Let’s see the ride backwards, with the video of the descent.  If you’re interested in videos, you might compare this one with the video from our first ride.  Rachael’s gotten a newer model GoPro since then, and you can really see the improvements in image stabilization.  

Video sound track: Air, by Jesse Cook

🎵Twenty-six miles across the basin Santa Catalina is the dream I’m chasin’, Santa Catalina, the mountain range of romance, romance, romance, romance🎵 (with apologies to the Four Preps).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Starting out, we have a pleasant five mile ride along the Catalina Highway, climbing slightly. A nice warm up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the climb now. Once you hit the Mount Lemmon Highway, it’s all uphill for the next 20 miles, climbing 5,000’ at a steady, manageable 5-7% grade.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lowest part of the climb winds through a spectacular saguaro forest. We’ll climb out of the Saguaro zone before we hit 4,000’.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view south. The long road is Soldier Trail; the Rincon Mountains are on the left; and far out, to the left of Soldier Road, is Saguaro National Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’re out of the Saguaros now. The ride gets progressively rockier as we climb up Molino Canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nearing the top of Molino Canyon, the road bends north, lifts out of the top of the canyon, and cuts over to the other side of the ridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Climbing out of Molino Canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally cutting through the north wall of Molino Canyon, we pass one dramatic rock formation after another.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’re on the north side now. The cliffs are on the right now, views toward Tucson are behind us and out of sight, but even more spectacular views to the north open up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thimble Peak, with Bear Canyon cutting in front beneath it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Still on the ascent, somewhere around Seven Cataracts Vista.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Climbing toward the rim of Willow Canyon, the road seems to grow more spectacular with every bend.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At Thimble Creek Vista, taking a breather, chatting with a cyclist from Milwaukee, and discussing the effects of the elevation on us flatlanders.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Still climbing, with the next bend in the road visible above us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re in the hoodoo zone now, which has my vote for the best part of the climb. The views back down into Willow Canyon and the two deep switchbacks we’ve just climbed up through are astounding.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Still climbing through the hoodoo zone.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another dizzying look down.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And still climbing. That looks like an Easter Islander on the right.
Heart 5 Comment 0
At Hoodoo Vista, where we stopped the ascent, quickly layered up, and began coasting back down. We’re hungry, but it’s too chilly and windy to eat quite yet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the descent now. I thought I was done with photography on the way down, but of course the views are just as compelling in the other direction.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
One of my favorite stretches of the ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Goblins galore in the hoodoo zone.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jen RahnThis looks like a goblin teacher with some students on a field trip.

"Now, Goblinitos, when you see a cyclist be sure to stand very still! We want them to think we're just hoodoos."
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnGoblinitos! Well done - it’s even culturally correct.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Stopping for lunch on Windy Point, which paradoxically isn’t too windy at the moment. It feels wonderful to lie on my back on the warm granite, my shirt unzipped and soaking up the sun.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hoodoo wedding shoot. She gazes up with admiration at her daredevil husband to be, but with a long train trailing behind her thinks she shouldn’t join him on the ledge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another of our favorite spots. Even better in reverse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Down,
Heart 3 Comment 0
Down,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Down! And hopefully, not for the last time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraNice work, Team Anderson! Looks like an amazing climb. You guys still got it! Enjoy the rest of your trip. Back to Portland soon?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks,Patrick. Yup, home quite soon - we fly out Tuesday for a six week Portland residency before we leave for an as yet to be disclosed location.

We can disclose at this time though that we’re coming your way this summer. We’ll be staying at an Airbnb for a month in mid-July, but I imagine the two of you will be on the road yourselves again. One of these years!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Ride stats today: 40 miles, 4,400’; for the tour: 1,745 miles, 84,000’

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,745 miles (2,808 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
david alstonGood decision. And, as you say, hopefully not for the last time.
David and Maun Alston
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo david alstonThanks! It seemed the prudent thing to do. We don’t feel like we have anything to prove these day, and aren’t as prone to push our luck as we used to be. We’re in for the long game.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago