The plan - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

The plan

This tour  has it roots in our two previous tours. In October 2017 we travelled to Sardinia and completely enjoyed our trip around the island. The early October weather was perfect for cycling, the crowds and cars had left the island, accommodation was easy to find and rates we were dropping. The riding conditions and scenery were spectacular. 

A very memorable ride: Strada Provinciale 71 | the south coast of Sardinia
Heart 3 Comment 0
Riding a boardwalk on a beach outside Cabras. This area is know to have the finest beaches made of coloured quartz. The sand is so prized that there are signs warning you not to take any with you!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI remember this spot! We biked Sardinia about 10 years ago, but our experience was less positive. We were there in early June, and it was getting too hot and I’m sure more crowded than you saw in October. It’s funny - Rachael and I were just talking about whether we would have liked the island better later in the season.

Corsica’s another story though. One of our favorite islands. Looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

In April  this year Scott had an opportunity of a lifetime to pursue another of his passions - ski touring. After two weeks hiking and skiing in the Swiss Alps we added on a two week cycle tour down the Rhone from Lyon to the  Luberon in Provence. This was our first experience riding in France and we both agreed that the Luberon was a place to which we would love to return.

We made it to the summit of Mount Ventoux. Although a bit wet, we were very pleased with our accomplishment. From lonely planet's, Epic Bike Rides of the World, "The Beast of Provence is, with good reason, the most notorious ascents of the Tour de France."
Heart 2 Comment 0

Put the two together and what have you got? A ride from Avignon to Nice and then on to the island of Corsica! We will start along the southern side of the Chaîne des Alpilles and continue east through a number of small towns and villages in the  Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region. We plan to spend a few nights exploring Nice and  then take the ferry to Corsica.   It’s in the Mediterranean Sea,  just north of Sardinia  - 170km from the French coast and 90km from the coast of Italy. 

We are slightly nervous about the Corsica stage  as the "Corsica Cyclist" website described it as  " a mountain range in the sea. There are 21 peaks that rise above 2000m the highest, Monte Cinto stands at 2706m. There are in excess of 150 cols that can be conquered by road. All of this is compressed into an island that boasts more than 200 beaches but is just 183km in length and 83km at it’s widest point." The beaches part sounds lovely! 

Northern section of Corisca from Google maps. Not much flat looking down there.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Shannon FlanneryI am, as usual, in awe of your athletic and roaming spirits! I’ll be watching your inspiring travels!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Andrea BrownOkay, you get bonus points for a great title. Now the bridge from “Maggie May” is running through my head, which is not a bad thing.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Brad SharpExcellent. Looking forward to enjoying another trip from the comfort of my couch.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bennie D. BarfieldI posted a previous comment about a Sardinia tour my wife and I took.. Did you guys post your Sardegna (correct spelling, yes?) tour on another link? We would love to see that too..
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott FenwickTo Bennie D. BarfieldSorry for the late reply. Here is the link that may be of interest to you concerning our Sardinia tour the previous year.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=525062&v=6h

Thanks for your interest.
Scott and Pat
Reply to this comment
5 years ago