Chagny - Seurre: Affaissement? - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2010

Chagny - Seurre: Affaissement?

Today is the first time that I can remember in a long time that I feel normal, nothing hurts, pedalling isn't a chore. This sudden change is very unexpected but welcome and I have no idea what has made the difference. Again it gets very hot, 36°C, so it can't have been the heat that was making me feel so weak. It's as if I had been sick and today I suddenly recovered.

We have good coffee and croissants at the campground, my favorite campground so far I think.

Camping de Chagny
Heart 1 Comment 0

We follow the excellent and in part spanking new path along the Canal du Centre to Chalon-sur-Saone. Here we take leave of the canal and switch over to the Saone River which will now lead us northeast.

Following the Canal du Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bran new
Heart 1 Comment 0
Canal du Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canal du Centre
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's a huge canal boat!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After shortcutting through the north of the city and successfully navigating through Chalon's industrial zone (Garmin takes credit again), we ride the D5 which runs parallel to the Saone.

I'm happy that there is going to be a market in the next town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Gergy, we finally find access to the river bike path indicated on our map and are impressed by the smooth paved surface. However, it soon becomes a dirt path which is also alright with us. Then comes the sign "ROUTE BARRÉE" and next to it "AFFAISSEMENT". Road closed is obvious - but it looks ok - and I don't know what affaissement means. So we push our bikes around the barrier and continue riding. We soon see the meaning of affaissement - a portion of the road has been washed out. We retrace our route back to the D5.

Along the Saone - great path
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little obstacle here, but we'll give it a try anyway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So that's what affaissement means.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The scenery in the sweltering afternoon isn't terribly interesting as we cycle between corn and wheat fields. We stop for the night at the simple campground in Seurre and I heat up some canned couscous for supper.

Camping in Seurre
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,479 km (918 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0