Siem Reap: A day at the temples - Touring in Thailand, Cambodia and China - CycleBlaze

December 19, 2007

Siem Reap: A day at the temples

Today is our first day at the temples. The heat is devastating but the temples are fantastic, there's no denying it. The temple complex of Angkor is perhaps the most spectacular and largest in the world. We start out with the magnificent Angkor Wat. The dimensions are overwhelming, especially under the burning noonday sun. But soon the ancient stones have us under their spell - in spite of the many many tourists.

Approach to Angkor Wat
Heart 0 Comment 0

For me the most impressive feature of this temple are the 800 meters of intricately carved bas reliefs.

Bas reliefs in Angkor Wat
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail
Heart 1 Comment 0

All of the stones of these immense structures have been decorated, and the most common motif is the heavenly nymph or apsara.

Apsaras at Angkor Wat
Heart 1 Comment 0

The second highlight of the day is the Bayon temple at Angkor Thom with hundreds of heads resembling the ruler Jayavarman VII gazing into space while you gaze at them.

One of the 216 stone faces at Bayon
Heart 1 Comment 0

Of course I have an infinite number of impressions and photos of the temples, but this is a site for cycling and I don't want to get too far off the subject. We have bought a seven-day entrance pass for the temples which means there will be no touring for a while.

If I don't write, it doesn't mean that I have disappeared in the dark recesses of a mysterious temple half swallowed by jungle, it simply means we are not on our bikes.

Mysterious temples
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0