Trevelin - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

November 28, 2022 to November 29, 2022

Trevelin

Monday 28th November 2022

There was less traffic to start off with this morning but it got steadily heavier as the ride progressed with the result that we ended up as dusty as yesterday.  Although there were no big climbs, almost all of the ups and downs were pretty steep so it was hard work until the fifty kilometer mark.  The ripio can to an end after eighteen kilometers so that made the climbs easier from there onwards.  Once again the views made up for any hardship we had to endure.

The view from above last night's campsite.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once out of the park we had a few more small climbs followed by a big downhill into Trevelin.  Our first impressions weren't that great.  It looks like a typical Argentinian town in Patagonia.  We were expecting to see evidence of its Welsh heritage and there wasn't a Welsh word in sight.

We headed for El Chacay campground on the eastern side of town where, because we are traveling by bicycle, we have been given a good deal.  With tomorrow's wind set to be blowing strongly from the west we might end up having a rest day here.  Our legs are a bit tired from the hills of the past two days and they deserve a day off.

Tuesday 29th November 2022

The birding in the campground has been quite nice with a couple of species we haven't yet seen on this trip appearing for the first time.

Common Diuca Finch (Diuca diuca)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fire-eyed Diucon (Xolmis pyrope)
Heart 1 Comment 0

We caught up with all our laundry and then wandered off into town to look for some Welshness.  Most of it was in road signs designed to enhance the character of the town.  Apart from two "Welsh" tearooms, Trevelin is little different to most other towns around here.  In its favour, it has not yet been over exploited as has happened with places like Villa La Angostura and San Martin de los Andes.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Following a territorial dispute between Argentina and Chile in early 1902, the Limits Commission met in School No.18, Trevelin on 30 April of that year. The British arbiter was Sir Thomas Holdich (King's Surveyor General of India) whilst the interested parties were represented by Francisco Pascasio Moreno (Argentina) and Dr. Balmaceda (Chile). The inhabitants of the area (both the indigenous Mapuche Tehuelche and the Welsh colonists) voted to remain in Argentina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The interior of one of the tearooms.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After meandering around the town we, amazingly, found a restaurant that was open so we popped in for a very late lunch of pizza.  The waiter was from Buenos Aires but has lived here for seven years but has heard no Welsh spoken during that period.  He said it was still taught at the local elementary school but native speakers seem to have died out.

Once back in the campground I was amazed to find that we have cycled twelve kilometers during our meanderings on the village and visits to the local La Anónima.

Tomorrow we head over the border to Futaleufú in Chile.

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 4,079 km (2,533 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0